Sunday, March 21, 2010

hey-O

Living missionally...

I'm currently on my first mission trip in NYC. It's probably my most favorite place in the world. Thank you God for culture!! I love seeing all walks of life intermingling in the streets and subways, encountering street performers that I want to kiss on the mouth b/c they are so dang gifted, and being spit on and offered a romantic night of "relations" by homeless people (yes that seriously happened...insert gagging noise here).

I kind of had this brief moment of "Am I crappy Christian for never embarking on this"- not homeless relations but mission trips...and then I quickly corrected myself...NO! I'm the most awesome Christian ever (now instead of gagging like you did previously...we can insert a sarcastic undertone here). Obviously I'm not the best Jesus follower, but I do feel blessed to have grown up in church that taught me to live missionally. Our life's very purpose should be to embrace others that don't know Jesus, to love them, to learn about them, to pray for them...It's called investing, and we suck at it!

Now if you are wondering...what the crap that term is: "missional living"... well Brittany's dictionary defines it as, "quit keeping that joy and hope to yourself and get off your (expletive) and go ask people about their worlds, while lovin the livin crap out of them." OR you could read up on Matthew 10:26 & 27...Jesus probably has some better words for you.

26"So do not be afraid of them. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the rooftops.

I'll race you to the rooftop...

Baker out!

No comments: